Sunday, September 18, 2011

Want to write dialogue? Secret revealed!

Robert B. Parker is your master teacher if you want to write dialogue that makes characters come to life.
Parker who died in 2010 wrote more than fifty books. His narrative is so tight he makes Ernie Hemingway read like John Updike.
The problem you'll have with Parker's narrative is it will appear to be so deceptively simple. I hated the first two books that I read, but then, I began to appreciate what he was doing when I caught the music of his dialogue. Read it out loud and see for yourself how it kicks into life.
99% of the authors who submit novels to me have no idea what dialogue is suppose to do. So, if you want to tighten up your stuff, there's now a way of doing it. Read Parker. And let me know what you think.
Those of you waiting for a response to your proposals and query letters, please hang in a bit more. We've been busy opening up a second office in Colorado. Soon we'll have one there and the one in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment